Home Health News Woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria after Florida trip

Woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria after Florida trip

2 min read
0
19

An Indianapolis woman died after her family said she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria during a Florida vacation.

Carol Martin, 50, died after 16 days in the hospital following a vacation to the Tampa Bay area. Family members told WFLA Martin spent time in the hot tub at the hotel and later, when she arrived home, discovered a painful sore on her buttocks.

She sought medical treatment twice, though the diagnoses of necrotizing fasciitis – or flesh-eating bacteria – wasn’t made until a visit to the emergency room. Martin was rushed into surgery.

Officials in Marion County, Florida said they are collecting tissue samples to determine if the bacteria was a contributing factor in Martin’s death.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, necrotizing fasciitis is a serious bacterial skin infection that spreads quickly and kills the body’s soft tissue. It is treated with antibiotics and surgery to remove infected areas but is often deadly in a short period of time.

To avoid necrotizing fasciitis, the CDC recommends:

  • Keep draining or open wounds covered with clean, dry bandages until healed.
  • Don’t delay first aid of even minor, non-infected wounds (like blisters, scrapes, or any break in the skin).
  • Avoid spending time in whirlpools, hot tubs, swimming pools, and natural bodies of water (e.g., lakes, rivers, oceans) if you have an open wound or skin infection.
  • Wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub if washing is not possible.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Oz & Roizen: Vitamin D supplements during pregnancy or for young children

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Oz & Roizen: Vitamin D supplements during pregn…