Home Health News Oregon mom cited after toddler overdoses on marijuana-infused candy

Oregon mom cited after toddler overdoses on marijuana-infused candy

2 min read
0
7

A mother in La Pine was cited for child neglect after her 2-year-old son ate homemade marijuana-infused candy police say she left unattended.

Katelynn Joy, 27, at some point discovered a partially eaten edible while at home but waited several hours before calling 911, according to the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office. Over time, the symptoms of the apparent THC overdose worsened.

Deputies and paramedics responded to the home around 5:15 p.m. and found the child in apparent distress, the sheriff’s office said. The overdose seemed life threatening by the time he was being driven to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend.

The boy has since been released from the hospital and is under DHS supervision, the sheriff’s office said. Joy was also cited for endangering the welfare of a minor.

THC can be dangerous for children and animals, the sheriff’s office said.  Signs of a marijuana overdose could include a rapid heart rate, hallucinations, vomiting, panic attacks and paranoia.

Anyone who suspects their child or pet has eaten marijuana- or THC-infused products should call 911 or a veterinarian immediately, the sheriff’s office said. Other options include the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435.

— Everton Bailey Jr.

ebailey@oregonian.com
503-221-8343; @EvertonBailey

Let’s block ads! (Why?)


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Oz & Roizen: Vitamin D supplements during pregnancy or for young children

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Oz & Roizen: Vitamin D supplements during pregn…