S. Alemdar/Getty Images
- Your eyes are precious, but people often take them for granted.
- Even those with perfect vision should visit an eye doctor regularly to get checked for common eye diseases, such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- To take care of your eyes, it’s important to visit an eye specialist regularly, wear sunglasses, avoid smoking, and eat healthy vegetables.
- Luckily, staring at a screen all day won’t damage your eyes permanently, but it can cause strain on the visual system.
- Here are five common ways people hurt their eyes every day, and how to avoid them.
We know we shouldn’t look directly at the sun, because it can cause serious eye damage even after a few seconds, according to Healthline. But there are plenty of other everyday habits that can hurt our eyes over time.
Business Insider spoke with Christopher Quinn, president of the American Optometric Association, to get some insight into how we may be damaging our eyes without even realizing it.
Even if you think your vision seems fine, these five things could be hurting your eyesight: